The Horror of a Shield Wall
The Horror of a Shield WallRegia Anglorum at the Battle of Hastings
My experience comes from reenactment, not the battlefield
itself, but even that controlled version was brutal enough. The command at the
end of a battle for “Dead Arise” gives us second, third, and fourth chances;
real warriors did not get that luxury. I have cracked finger bones four times,
broken my thumb once, and broken ribs twice. A fellow Saxon was once thrown
thirty or forty feet when a charging horse skidded into the shield wall. So no:
even as a reenactor, fighting behind a shield was never easy, even when
everyone knew it was only a display.
The Seax: Tool, Weapon, Liability
When I first joined Regia Anglorum, all newbies learned to
fight with a scramseax: the typical Saxon knife used for everything from chopping
wood and butchery to close combat. It was shorter than a sword, quick in the
hand, and dangerous precisely because it felt so familiar. On one occasion a
colleague asked me to take part in a show fight. These displays had to look
fierce, move fast, and keep the crowd hooked. We both had a seax and a shield. I
refused at first. Then, inevitably, I thought: why not?
I walked over and asked him why his wife was so ugly, then remembered
it was because he was too. It remains one of the quickest ways I know to start
a fight.
At first, the fight was straightforward. Then the weakness
of the seax became obvious: it has no guard, no cross-hilt, nothing to protect
the hand. It is a working tool pressed into violence. You block with it, but
your attention is split between the opponent, the shield, and whatever blow is
already coming. Within minutes a heavy strike smashed into my hand and
fractured a finger bone. It hurt. A lot. But with a crowd watching, the fight
had to continue. Eventually the shields were ripped away or thrown aside, and
the seax fight became something closer and nastier: half instinct, half
blindness. In the end it finished as a draw, mostly because there is only so long
anyone can fight under an English summer sun.
The Boar’s Snout
I broke a rib during a Boar’s Snout, or Svinfylking in Viking terms. This is where armoured men in helmets
and chain mail form a wedge, with the clear intention of bulldozing through the
opposing shield wall. A wall might be only one or two men deep, shields locked
together, so a compact group of determined fighters can punch a hole straight
through it. It is terrifying to face. If the wedge hits with enough momentum,
men can be thrown considerable distances.
I once saw a Boar’s Snout brought down by a very brave
individual. He sprinted at the wedge after it had built up speed and could no
longer stop, then threw himself across the lead man, aiming for the legs. His
timing had to be perfect. If he rolled through cleanly, the whole formation
might collapse. If he misjudged it, twenty armoured men carrying swords and
spears would crash down on top of him. He got it right. The wedge folded, we
surged forward, and their finest warriors were suddenly lying helpless in a
tangled heap.
Later, I was volunteered for a Boar’s Snout myself. The lead
man has to lean back, giving those behind him something solid to drive against
and keeping the formation compact. I was placed at the front and did as instructed.
We smashed through the enemy line. In a later battle, however, I was two or
three men back, and the lead man made the mistake of splitting forward rather
than leaning back into the mass. That broke the shape. We hit the enemy shield
wall in waves instead of as one force. We failed to break through, and I was
trapped against the wall when the rest of our men slammed into us. My ribs felt
as if they met somewhere in the middle of my body. That was the second time I
broke one.
Inside the Wall
Even when you know no one is trying to kill you, standing in
a shield wall is frightening. You face the enemy opposite you and lock shields
with the men on either side. Your shield overlaps the man to your right; the
man to your left overlaps yours. The aim is not always to strike the person
directly in front of you. Often it is to drag down an enemy's shield so someone else
can spear them, or to strike the far edge of it and wrench it open. A shield
wall usually begins with many spearmen and a few axemen, whose job is to hook,
pull, and tear shields wide or down.
That is where the mayhem begins. The man who kills you may
not even be in your eye line. A spear can come from several yards down the enemy
line, slipping through a gap you did not know had opened. A shield wall needs
to stay straight, but once battle is joined the line bends, buckles, and eventually breaks.
When that happens, spears find bodies. Swords come out. Small knots of men
fight their own desperate battles. If one side outflanks the other, the fear
changes again: now you are looking over your shoulder, wondering whether the
next thrust will come from behind. That makes anyone careless.
Reenactment and Reality
As a reenactor, fighting in a shield wall was thrilling, exhausting,
and occasionally frightening. It gave me a glimpse of what such combat might have
felt like, but only a glimpse. Our battles might involve a hundred warriors a
side. Hastings is thought to have involved thousands on each side. Real shield
walls were deeper. Arrows, axes, javelins, and other missiles could thin the ranks
before the lines even met. I have stood under arrow storms at Hastings, and
even with rubber tips they could find gaps in shields and hurt badly.
In a real battle, the truth would have been harsher than anything
I experienced. Reenactment can teach timing, fear, pressure, and impact, but it
cannot recreate the finality of a battlefield. There, a broken line could mean
a broken body. A missed block could mean death. In that world, there was no
call for the dead to arise. I am grateful to be able to drive home after every battle.
Read more battles with the added fear of dragons and demons in the Prophecy of the Kings https://davidburrows.org.uk/
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment on my posts on anything Fantasy. I am a big fan and my books were influenced by Tolkien, David Gemmell. Moorcock and many other authors.