The Saxon Who Ran Too Fast
How I outran a horse — three times!
As a Saxon re-enactor, I was once invited to take part in a
filming opportunity. I arrived in a broad, open field to find several friends
already there, along with the film crew, the cameras, and a sense that this was
going to be more interesting than an ordinary day in costume.
The producer explained the scene. Six Saxons, fleeing the
Battle of Hastings, were to be hunted across the field by roving Norman mounted
patrols. We would form a loose shield wall. Four Norman knights would charge.
And because I was on the left-hand end, I had the special honour of dropping my
shield and running for my life.
It sounded simple enough. The camera was set low to the
ground about two hundred yards away. The plan was that a mounted knight would
catch me just before I reached it, swing his sword down, and kill me
dramatically on film. Right.
The producer shouted, “Action!” and the knights spurred
their horses into a gallop. The ground seemed to tremble beneath them. I waited
until they were almost upon us, judged my moment, hurled down my shield, turned,
and ran as hard as I could.
“Stop!” called the producer.
I turned back. The mounted knight was still by the shield
wall. His horse had shied when my shield crashed to the ground. After all, how often
does a horse meet a Saxon warrior throwing down a noisy shield in front of it?
Strike one.
We reset and tried again. This time I lowered the shield a little
more carefully, then legged it. Behind me came the thunder of hooves, growing
louder with every stride, but over two hundred yards the horse still had to gather
speed. Somehow, I reached the camera before the knight could catch me. Strike
two.
For the final run, I knew what I had to do: slow down. That
is not a natural instinct when a very large horse is coming up behind you at
speed. I could hear it closing in, hooves pounding, breath and leather and
metal all rushing towards the back of my head. Then, just in front of the
camera, the rider caught me. His sword came down and struck the back of my
helmet — fortunately with the flat of the blade. I think.
I threw out my arms and dropped to the ground, terror etched
across my face.
The producer was delighted. He beamed at me. “That was
great,” he said, grinning. “You looked terrified!”
I tried to grin back. “No wonder,” I answered. “I could hear
a very heavy horse thundering down on me, and I had no idea whether it was
going to trample me as I fell.” Fortunately, the rider, Nigel, was a friend.
With the reach of his sword, he left just enough space for me to collapse
without being flattened.
So, technically, I outran a horse three times before finally
being caught — admittedly over a short distance, and admittedly while the horse
was still getting up to speed. Even so, for a few seconds, it was genuinely
frightening. Sadly, I never saw the finished film, which was probably used in a
Battle of Hastings documentary. But the experience did leave me with a certain
sympathy for the characters in my books, The Prophecy of the Kings, who are not so fortunate. They cannot simply
get up afterwards, drive home, and have dinner with their families. Writing is very
cruel indeed.
Comments
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment on my posts on anything Fantasy. I am a big fan and my books were influenced by Tolkien, David Gemmell. Moorcock and many other authors.