A Cave, a Betrayal, and the Birth of a Fantasy Story
How the Prophecy of the Kings began
Writing a novel is rarely straightforward. I began
with a single image: two stepbrothers deep within a vast cavern in the heart of
a mountain. The cave is enormous, its darkness heavy and suffocating, as though
unseen eyes are fixed upon them from every shadowed corner. With growing trepidation,
the pair press on into the gloom. One of the brothers is a sorcerer, hungry for
power, and betrayal lies at the very core of his nature. Together they discover
a magical artefact suspended from the branch of a fossilised tree, an object
that seems both ancient and unnaturally alive. The moment they seize it,
bodiless voices erupt around them—shouting, screaming, and gibbering in a
frenzy that fills the cavern. Terror-stricken, they turn to flee, but their
limbs feel sluggish and unresponsive, as though they are trying to run through
thick mud. The voices rise to a deafening crescendo, feeding their panic as
they stumble through the darkness. At last, the sorcerer reaches a narrow tunnel
that promises escape, but in his desperation he commits the ultimate act of
treachery: he traps his stepbrother within the cavern and turns him to stone.
Having a starting point is easy, but it raises many
questions.
Why are they in the cave?
How did they get there?
Why the betrayal?
And most importantly, where does the plot go from
here?
Kaplyn trapped in the
cave
Do I create a plot for the
Prophecy of the Kings – or just let it evolve.
At the time, I had no experience of writing a book. I
did not begin with a detailed plot; instead, I allowed the story to evolve
naturally. What started as a single scene eventually became the ending of Book
1. Simply working out who the characters were, how they came together, and what
led them to the cavern was challenge enough to inspire a novel in its own right.
As the story grew, I introduced new characters and followed their journeys too,
scattering hints and threads that could be picked up in future books. I wrote
the manuscript by hand, and my wife, who is a skilled typist, graciously typed
it up for me.
The Books and Films that influenced
the Prophecy of the Kings
I knew I wanted the books to include demons, influenced
by other novels such as The Shannara Chronicles
by Terry Brooks and by films such as The
Devil Rides Out, directed by Terence Fisher, which remains a great favourite
of mine. More broadly, I was drawn to the genre itself and the atmosphere it
can create. Sadly, I have never found another horror film that quite matches
the power of that one.
How the Plot for the Prophecy of the Kings developed.
The plot developed like stepping stones across a
river. I had inklings of where I wanted the tale to go, but I did not yet have all
the details, as it were. In my spare time, I would reflect on the story, wondering
what the next step should be. At one point, I became completely stuck, with no
clear sense of where the narrative was heading. Months passed, but I refused to
rush the storyline, instead waiting for a spark of inspiration. I even considered
backtracking and rewriting parts of the tale to escape the limbo in which I had
become trapped. Then, all at once, an idea sprang to mind and caught me by
surprise. It was like turning the page of a book and thinking, wow, I like that.
I immediately put pen to paper, and the story carried on until the next logjam.
The Prophecy of the Kings
in Print
I am immensely proud of my book and of the journey it
has taken me on. Other authors may or may not agree, but to me the characters
feel alive. The tale has been described as bittersweet, and each time I read it—whether
while editing or simply for pleasure—I feel a lump rise in my throat at the
ending. I care deeply for these characters and for the ordeals I have put them
through.
I have ice-climbed in Scotland, stood as a Saxon in a shield
wall against Viking warriors, and faced a charge of two hundred cavalry horses
while arrows rained down around me—albeit rubber-tipped ones. I have also come
away from those battles with broken fingers and ribs, proof that the fighting
was as hard-fought as it was real. I hope those experiences have helped to make
my writing more vivid and believable.
As for Kaplyn, and especially Vastra, I can only beg
your forgiveness.
My books are self-published, so if you do read them, I would be grateful if you would consider posting a review. My website is https://www.davidburrows.org.uk/
I hope my books move you as deeply as they have moved
me.
David Burrows, author of the Prophecy of the Kings.
Comments
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment on my posts on anything Fantasy. I am a big fan and my books were influenced by Tolkien, David Gemmell. Moorcock and many other authors.